One of the most important molecules produced by our cells is nitric oxide. Its main function is to promote healthy blood vessels. It improves the way our blood vessels function by dilating the blood vessels and allowing good blood flow. Through its action, our tissues receive adequate blood supply and vital nutrients.
But this isn’t the only benefit of nitric oxide though. In fact, this molecule is beneficial to several bodily functions.
Below are the top 10 proven health benefits of nitric oxide.
#1 SLOWS DOWN THE AGING PROCESS
The powerhouse of the cell is its mitochondria. Its main function is to turn the food we eat into energy. As we grow older, our cell’s mitochondrial activities decline. In fact, its declining leveland activities contribute to the normal aging process.
Now, nitric oxide is known to boost mitochondrial health. Food supplements and drugs that contain nitric oxide help promote mitochondrial health and cellular balance.
#2 – PROMOTES HEALTHY HEART
- Nitric oxide is important to heart health. Its vasodilating effect protects the heart from the effects of hypertension. It also prevents platelets from clumping and causing obstructions.
- Additionally, nitric oxide reduces low-grade inflammation. This low-grade inflammation contributes to the development of atherosclerosis and other heart diseases.
- Because nitric oxide also functions as an antioxidant, it can protect the heart from the harmful effects of free radicals and oxidants.
- These health effects help reduce the risk of developing heart problems such as heart attacks, atherosclerosis, and hypertension.
#3 – REDUCES DIABETIC COMPLICATION RISKS
Poor blood circulation results in diabetic complications such as heart diseases, diabetic retinopathy, kidney failure, nerve damage, and foot gangrene resulting in amputation, among others.
Nitric oxide’s effect on the blood vessels improves blood flow and helps reduce diabetes risks. It also improves the cell’s ability to absorb insulin , an important hormone that controls blood sugar levels.
#4 – IMPROVES BRAIN FUNCTIONS
Nitric oxide plays an important role in the way our brain cells’ transmit signals. It’s also vital to our brain’s blood circulation. Low brain nitric oxide levels, according to studies, contribute to the development of brain diseases.
Nitric oxide’s vasodilating effects promote better blood flow throughout the brain. With a good blood flow, our brain cells receive adequate supply of oxygen, nutrients, and minerals essential to a healthy brain. This improves brain
#5 – ACTIVATE STEM CELLS
Nitric oxide (NO) is an important molecule that affects gene expression at the level of transcription and translation and regulates cell survival and proliferation in diverse cell types including pluripotent stem cells. Many studies have shown Stem cell injection Plano which carry nitric oxide that is vital for stem cells to differentiate and survive to next line of cells.
#6 – INCREASES ENERGY LEVELS
- As mentioned earlier, the cell’s mitochondria convert the nutrients we eatto energy. The more mitochondria that produce energy, the higher the energy level.
- According to some studies, people with sedentary lifestyle have lower amounts of mitochondria. They are also at risk of mitochondrial dysfunction.
- Nitric oxide boosts mitochondrial activities. It also increases mitochondrial density. These effects help increase energy levels .
#7 – IMPROVES ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION
To maintain penile erection, there has to be adequate blood supply to the penis. Unfortunately, age, chronic medical diseases, and medications affect penile erection and cause erectile dysfunction. It is the inability to achieve as well as maintain an erection. Erectile dysfunction is considered first sign of heart disease.
Nitric oxide, as a potent vasodilator, relaxes the blood vessels in the penis. It allows blood to flow and fill the blood vessels. These effects help males with erectile dysfunction achieve and maintain an erection.
#8 – INCREASES TELOMERE
Telomeres are structures found at the ends or tips of our chromosomes. Chromosomes are made up by two DNA strands.
Now, telomeres protect our chromosomes and prevent the DNA strands from unraveling or splitting apart. Without telomeres, our DNA won’t be able to function properly.
Unfortunately, our telomeres weaken and shorten as we age.
Studies reveal that nitric oxide has the ability to prevent age-related telomere shortening and even increase the length. It also has the ability to boost telomere activity.
#9 – IMPROVES ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE
Nitric oxide, as mentioned earlier, boosts energy levels by boosting mitochondrial function and density. It also dilates the blood vessels during an exercise program, allowing the muscles to receive adequate oxygen and nutrients.These effects, in turn, improve athletic performance of Plano sports orthopedics.
According to one study, nitric oxide supplements increase exercise capacity, endurance, and tolerance . It has shown to improve the athletic performance by 16%. It also helps improve time to exhaustion.
#10 – IMPROVES MEN AND WOMEN’S VITALITY
- Vitality is often described as one’s physical as well as mental energy and strength. It may also be described as one’s arousal.
- Now, adequate genital blood flow is vital in the sexual arousal of both men and women. It allows penile and clitoral erection. It also increases sensitivity.
- Nitric oxide, as a vasodilator, enhances these effects in men and women and boosts sexual health. In fact, according to a study, nitric oxide plays an integral role in sexual arousal.
#11 – PROMOTES HEALTHY IMMUNE SYSTEM
Immune cells, especially macrophages, release nitric oxide. These macrophages are responsible for detecting pathogens. They engulf these pathogens and destroy them. They also help in eliminating toxins and other cellular debris.
One study revealed that macrophages produce and release nitric oxide. Increased nitric oxide levels help the immune system control infections caused by pathogens such as bacteria and other pathogenic organisms.
FOODS RICH IN NITRIC OXIDE
Foods rich in nitric oxide that you might want to add to your diet include walnuts, garlic, pomegranate, and dark leafy greens such as arugula, swiss chard, spinach and butter leaf lettuce. You should also include beets and citrus fruits like oranges and lemons. Watermelon is also a great source of nitric oxide.
Fruits rich in vitamin C are especially important. They boost your body’s nitric oxide levels and, at the same time, enhance its bioavailability. This means your cells have more nitric oxide to absorb.
USING NITRIC OXIDE SUPPLEMENTS
Nitric oxide supplements provide a lot of therapeutic benefits. However, there are also precautions to using nitric oxide:
- Do not use nitric oxide supplements if you’re hypotensive since it can lower your blood pressure.
- It can cause lightheadedness and dizziness due to its ability to decrease blood pressure.
To improve your overall health, you may want to consider adding nitric oxide supplement to your daily health regimen. It is advisable that you consult with your primary care physician, especially if you are hypotensive or have kidney problems.